Justin/Frederick - Thanks, that did the trick. Here's my updated code:

<% form_remote_tag( :url => {:controller => 'store', :action =>
'finalize_order',
    :location_id => @location.id},
    :before => "finalizing();") do %>
<% end %>

That generates <form action="/some/path" method="post"
onsubmit="finalize(); new Ajax.Request('/
some/path', {asynchronous:true, evalScripts:true,
parameters:Form.serialize(this)}); return false;"> which is exactly
what I was after.