At a guess, it's the dom content loaded workaround, located at line 4025 of
1.6.0.2

  document.write("<script id=__onDOMContentLoaded defer
src=//:><\/script>");
    $("__onDOMContentLoaded").onreadystatechange = function() {
      if (this.readyState == "complete") {
        this.onreadystatechange = null;
        fireContentLoadedEvent();
      }

This code is executed if document.addEventListener isn't defined, which
under IE, isn't.

If you're not using dom:loaded, i'd just comment this block out as a quick
fix and find out from the core guys the proper workaround.
If you are using dom:loaded, you *could* change to window.onload
(Event.observe(window,load,...);) and then comment the code.

Gareth Evans
Sniper Systems