(Tried to search for this already, but didn't find anything... I would
think others have hit this?)

Using Ajax.InPlaceEditor, when I send the new value to the server and
get back the response, IE6 shows the updated value as "[object]",
whereas Firefox and Safari show the new value correctly (haven't
tested other browsers).

I tracked this down to Element.Methods.update:

    if (content && content.toElement) content = content.toElement();

Evidently a string has a toElement method in IE?  So
content.toElement() ends up getting called, replacing the original
value of the content string.  I patched this as follows, seems to
work:

    if ( typeof(content) == "string" ) content = "" + content;
    else if (content && content.toElement) content =
content.toElement();

I did this in both places where Element.Methods.update is defined.

There are several other places where "if (content &&
content.toElement) ..." occurs (update, insert, replace).  Should this
same change be applied to those methods as well?