@Rick:

If you're going to cross-post (and I understand why you would want
to), best to just point people at the new thread rather than reposting
the entire question.  We're trying to move *away* from this group,
remember.

@All:

The thread is here:
http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-scriptaculous/browse_thread/thread/1364afb7bca58888