Here's my situation. Parent browser window opens a popup window. The
popup window contains a form that I'd like to submit to a php script
via ajax. I'd then like the popup window to automatically close (don't
need to display any feedback from the php script).

My popup window calls submitform() when the form is submitted. Here's
the contents of my .js file:

     function ajaxUpdater(id,url) {
           new Ajax.Updater(id,url,{asynchronous:true});
     }

     function submitform() {
         ajaxUpdater('mydiv', 'submit.php?value=' +
                document.getElementById('something').value
           , {
                  onComplete: tidyup()
             }
            );
      }

     function tidyup() {
          window.close();
     }

Before I added the onComplete callback, this was working - in that the
data was submitted to the form. Now though, it seems that window.close
is called before the ajax request is made: watching my server's access
log I don't see submit.php being called. If I comment out
window.close() , I see submit.php being called.

Am I misunderstanding the use of callbacks? I was under the impression
that onComplete would only be fired once the the webserver had
returned a status header in response to the ajax request.

Thanks,
Martin