You shouldn't really need to call this within a controller. Rails uses a
convention called MVC which means that the model, the view, and the
controller concerns are all separate to themselves. Here's the wikipedia
article on it [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-view-controller] and
here's an entry in the Rails' wiki for it as well [
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/UnderstandingMVC]. It's a really
core convention in rails. distance_of_time_in_words is purely a view concern
because it's about output which is the view. The standard way to do this is
to render a template [view] instead of constructing a string directly in the
controller. Hope that helps.

RSL