I ran into the same problem; turned out that I also had to add the
module which contains my plugin's classes to
ActiveSupport::Dependencies.explicitly_unloadable_constants

So if you have your plugin structured like this

init.rb
lib/myplugin.rb
lib/myplugin/*.rb

you should add the following line to your init.rb

ActiveSupport::Dependencies.explicitly_unloadable_constants =
'Myplugin'

and then declare a module (or a class) called Myplugin in lib/
myplugin.rb (otherwise Rails would give me errors about expecting this
file to declare a class with that name)