On 24 Sep 2008, at 00:44, ressister wrote:

> Right Heimdull, thanks.  So my model setup is correct for what I'm
> trying to achieve you think?  Any idea why this works:
>
> @first = Entry.find(:first, :include => :category)
> @first.category.name
>
> ...and this does not?
>
> @entries = Entry.sum(:price, :include => :category, :conditions =>
> ['user_id = 1'], :group => 'categories.id')

Because they are going down 2 different code paths. One is loading the
entry and then the category. The is trying to generate the appropriate
join statement. It just so happens that the latter is bust in rails
2.1 for has_one :through associations (the former is also broken but
not in a noticeable way)

Fred