this is my view:

        <% setupsheets_missing = true
            @series800.setupsheets.each do |sheet|
              setupsheets_missing = false
              %>
              <%=
link_to( image_tag(sheet.public_filename(:small), :border=>1, :style=>"margin-
right: 3p"),
                'show_setup_sheet',:popup => ['sheet window',
'height=780,width=620']) %>
              <%
            end
            if setupsheets_missing
              %>
              <%=
              image_tag("/setupsheets/
missing_small.gif", :border=>1, :style=>"margin-right: 3px")%>
              <%
            end  %>

It works, but it is damned ugly.
 if attachment_fu has saved multiple files, I get a list of thumb
picture links
 if it has only saved on I get one thumb picture link
 if it hasn't any I get a image_tag to a thumb bearing the word
"missing"

I would like to replace the abomination in the view code above with:

and a helper routine:

  def sheet_links_for(series800,size = :small)
    sheets_present = false
    series800.setupsheets.each do |sheet|
      sheets_present = true

link_to( image_tag(sheet.public_filename(size), :border=>1,:style=>"margin-
right: 3px"),
        'show_setup_sheet',:popup => ['sheet window',
'height=780,width=620'])
    end
    unless  sheets_present
       image_tag("/setupsheets/
missing_small.gif", :border=>1,:style=>"margin-right: 3px")

But no... the 'missing tag' does show up, but the two links are
nowhere to be found.

I have been trying to spot the error for the past week... been over
this with a fine tooth comb, substituting image tags for the 2 links.

any ideas?
 also is there a clean way to test for sheets present without
introducing a local variable.

Thanks in advance.