I think the more important questions to ask are:

Is Ruby easier and more enjoyable that PHP?

Yes

Is Ruby cleaner than PHP?

Yes

Is Ruby on Rails easier than CakePHP?

Yes

Does using Rails make you a better developer than using CakePHP?

I would say Yes.

Those are the important questions to be asking. Now, as far as speed.
Depending on how the app is built, Ruby could certainly be faster than
PHP and vice versa. All languages are slow if not built and configured
correctly.

Once again, this is a debate that cannot be had on these
generalizations alone, unless you are talking about the pure core
attributes of both languages. Ruby easier to learn and much more
enjoyable and cleaner to use than PHP, period.

--Cory