Authenticity token is checked for all POST requests (aka POST / PUT /
DELETE). If you're doing just GET then the system doesn't look for a
token.

An easier way to grab the auth token than what's specified in the blog
post is to use ExternalInterface and a javascript function:

html:

<script language="Javascript">
function getAuthKey() { return "<%= form_authenticity_token %>"; }
</script>

Flash:

var authToken:String = ExternalInterface.call("getAuthKey");

Which then needs to be added to the .data field of an URLRequest you process.

Hope that helps.

Jason