Look in your controller where you assign @employee. You are calling find on a
plural model (Employees.find). Is your model defined as "Employees"? The
Rails convention is to have models named in a singular form, ie Employee,
because it defines an instance of a singleton object.

Try changing Employees.find to Employee.find and see if that clears up the
funkiness.

Also, this might be way off, but some attribute names can cause problems with
ActiveRecord. Attributes that have the same name as internal ActiveRecord
methods cause sporadic errors. The Rails wiki has a running list of
pseudo-reserved words known to cause problems with AR:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/ReservedWords