I would have something like:

gc.stroke('transparent').stroke_antialias(false)
gc.fill('black')

The stroke_width setting won't have any effect on the text.  I also
never saw any variation from using the font_style or font_weight
settings.  I'm not sure if turning off antialiasing has any effect on
text, since I now have that commented out in my code.  I still turn
off antialiasing when drawing lines because I only draw rectangles.
On an angled line you might need it.

The font you choose may also have something to do with it.  Run

convert -list font

at the command line to see the available fonts and families on your
system.

Jim Crate
Que Viva Development