Hi Todd

I had the same problem on my development machine, basically some of
the instructions out there are less than satisfactory (hint hint:
Agile Web Development with Rails)... I solved the problem by
completely removing rails, ruby, and mysql/sqlite3, and starting again
using the following satisfactory guides:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RubyOnRails

and for the database (just go to the database section):
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/RailsOnUbuntu

good luck!