Why shouldn't it be changed right away?  Because the parent may be
invalid.

Really, the problem is consistency.  If are doing an update to the
parent and children and the parent is invalid, the children may or may
not be affected.  The consistent way to handle it would be to not
update the children until the parent is saved.  IMHO

Thanks,
Tom