I checked out peepcode and it seems like I landed on the same PayPal
page that my users land on.  Specifically, there's this text on the left
side of the Paypal page --
Don't have a PayPal account?
Use your credit card or bank account (where available). <a>Continue</a>
<--small, easily missed link
The right side of the page has a big "Log In To Paypal" box.

Yep, plugin seems to be haphazardly translated from some other source
(as you sugggest--probably PHP).  I cut and pasted what I needed and I'm
not even sure how much of it I'm actually using any more.  In that
sense, it got the job done and I was grateful for it.

You're right, SSL for ipn is overkill.  It was quicker to just SSL the
whole checkout controller instead of making an exception for my
ipn_update action.

My app has a lot of private data on it so for marketing purposes I often
use https in places that don't really need it -- there's that small
slice of observant people that perhaps take comfort in seeing https
sprinkled around and maybe that's worth the extra server encryption
overhead.