I had a similar thing with a form whithout a submit button.  I wanted
to use form observer.  The form only had select fields (and an
autocomplete field).

If I hit enter, the form gets submitted, even if the cursor is in the
autocomplete field.  Never did quite figure it  out but got round it
by using field observers instead.  It seemed like the focus
iinternally in the form was in a virtual submit button.  If I add a
normal text field, the problem goes away.

Tonypm