Why do you care about version_lock value?  That field is really for the AR
"internal recordkeeping" part of optimistic locking.
In .NET, this type of control is handled with a GUID, just to point out that
the field value itself is useless outside of the scope of the locking
mechanism.

Your thoughts?

Peter Fitzgibbons
(847) 687-7646