Tarscher.

First off you should download and install Firebug for firefox to help
you debug any javascript errors you may be having. http://getfirebug.com/

The problem you are having is because you are calling a non-existent
method, value(), on the div element. There is also no RJS method
called value:
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Helpers/PrototypeHelper/JavaScriptGenerator/GeneratorMethods.html

You should probably just use plain ol javascript for this one so you
can check the current innerHTML of the div.

ie.  if ($('show_archive').innerHTML == 'Show archive') { ... }

Or you could set some arbitrary attribute on the div and check it

ie...
if ($('show_archive').readAttribute('expanded') ==  'true') { ... }

Cheers.
--
Robert Zotter
Zapient, LLC