Frederick Cheung wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2008, at 07:20, Adam Meyer wrote:
>
>> exctracted the zip to D:\InstantRails\rMagick
>>
>> and when I run update
>>
>>> gem update --system
>> Updating RubyGems
>> Nothing to update
>>
> That command is just for updating rubygems itself. does
> gem install rmagick
> not work ?
>
> Fred

Hi Fred,

if I type in

gem install rmagick

I get

uilding native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing rmagick:

D:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install rmagick

This rmagick gem is for use only on Linux, BSD, OS X, and similar
systems.
Use the rmagick-win32 gem to install RMagick on Windows.
See http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-faq.html for more information.
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
  --with-opt-dir
  --without-opt-dir
  --with-opt-include
  --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
  --with-opt-lib
  --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
  --with-make-prog
  --srcdir=.
  --curdir
  --ruby=D:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/ruby

Gem files will remain installed in
D:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.7.2 for
inspection.
Results logged to
D:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.7.2/ext/RMagick/gem_make.out

If I type in

gem install rmagick-win32

it says

ERROR:  could not find gem rmagick-win32 locally or in a repository

I know that I need the windows version. I already downloaded it, but I
don't know where to put the gem file to make ruby find it locally. I put
it to

D:\InstantRails\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rmagick-2.7.1-x86-mswin32.gem

hmm, no clue...