I tried both

class ActiveRecord::Base
   def self._(s)

class Object
  def self._(msg)
    return msg

but nothing worked. I also looked at the gettext gem and it looks to
me that they just have a module where the _() method is defined and
this module is then required in the enviroment.rb, so I tried that
also but without any luck.

It can't be that hard to make a method globally available, or can it?

Thanks for your help!