On Nov 19, 11:56 pm, Mark Bush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> I am about to start drawing outside the lines for the first time, and I
> had a strange question. I have been following the rails conventions
> outlined in my readings and tutorials. I am now working on creating a
> new import feature for my application. The user will upload a PDF which
> will call a script that converts it to a text file.
>
> I have the command line application that will do the conversion, but it
> is my job to start parsing the output into meaningful data that will be
> placed in my database. So after spending some time with my nose buried
> in Ruby books, I feel more then ready to tackle the new challenge, the
> weird thing is . . . where does this code go?
>
> I am going to write a long ruby script that takes the text data and maps
> it out using regular expressions to get the matched up with it's correct
> labels . . . and I would like to have my own models around to store the
> data in. but it seems like writing the whole thing in one of my
> controllers or models doesn't seem like the "right" place. While the
> script is running it is going to be saving data to my app's database,
> and upon completion needs to return some information to my app for
> further processing. Would anyone mind pointing me in the right
> direction?

You're instinct to not want it in a controller is good. I personally
would have it in a model. That model (the DataImporter or whatever you
want to call it) probably wouldn't be a subclass of ActiveRecord::Base
but that's fine. You could put the corresponding file in the lib
folder if you don't like app/models containing non databasey stuff.

Fred