My company is looking at redoing our legacy Classic ASP storefront,
and I'm thinking about doing it in Rails since the alternative is to
use a PHP-based solution called Magento that, while it looks nice, is
insanely abstract to the point of making me go blind (it uses a
database design principle called Entity-Attribute-Value or EAV which
basically is to keep database tables like hashmaps that can contain an
infinite number of values).

The principle requirement of this site is to be able to filter certain
products based on the subdomain, since we want to have different
"brands".  The products aren't specific to this subdomain, but the
subdomain only shows a subset of products.

For example:

www.mysite.com: displays all products with categories/subcategories
(i.e. no filtering)
furniture.mysite.com: displays only products/subcategories with a
parent category of furniture
green.mysite.com: displays only products/categories/subcategories with
a (boolean) flag recycled = true

How would I go about doing this?  The only way I can think would be to
have separate controllers for each "store", for example:

# Main store i.e. no subdomain
class StoreController < ApplicationController
  def index
    @products = Products.find(:all)

# furniture.mysite.com
class FurnitureStoreController < ApplicationController
  def index
    @products = Products.find_all_by_category('Furniture')

# green.mysite.com
class GreenStoreController < ApplicationController
  def index
    @products = Products.find_all_by_recycled(true)

But that seems rather unweildy.  This is a critical business
requirement since we want to create different stores with their own
unique look and feel, but the actual data displayed comes from one
master database and needs to be filtered appropriately based on the
store the user is browsing.

Another critical requirement we have is that each individual product
can have up to four prices, and the price is chosen based on the
"store" the user is viewing it on (e.g. Product A is $15.00 on the
mysite.com, but $12.00 on furniture.mysite.com).  I'm not sure what
the best way to tackle that problem would be.

Any assistance with either or both of these issues would be greatly
appreciated!