On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Colin Law <clan...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 3 January 2012 10:16, Libber <amarnath.alap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am using ubuntu 10.04.
> > $ ruby -v
> > ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [i686-linux]
> >
> > $rails -v
> > Rails 2.2.3
> >
> > These are the additional header files I installed already
> > $ sudo apt-get install libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev
> >
> > I am behind a bad proxy, so i downloaded all gem files and installed
> > locally. This sqlite-ruby-2.2.3.gem also, I downloaded and am trying to
> > install locally.
> >

> I don't know whether it may be the problem but have you also installed
> sqlite3?
> sudo apt-get install sqlite3
>
> Otherwise you could use apt-file search to find which package should
> supply sqlite.h

Strange ...

On my system (Ubuntu 11.10 here), everything points to sqlite3 (THREE that
is) .

So, I get  sqlite3.h  (THREE) from here:

~/b$ dpkg -L libsqlite3-dev
/.
/usr
/usr/include
/usr/include/sqlite3.h
/usr/include/sqlite3ext.h

But, the OP seems to require sqlite.h  (without 3)

> checking for sqlite.h... no

and that is indeed found in a different package:

$ apt-file search sqlite.h
libsqlite0-dev: /usr/include/sqlite.

that was not mentioned in the apt-get install list of the OP.

So, why is the OP trying to install a version of sqlite that
seems to be older than sqlite3 ??

@Libber could you please post the Gemfile and Gemfile.lock (if available)
from the root directory of your Rails project.

Why are you caring for the 'sqlite-ruby' gem ? Why not simply

  gem 'sqlite3'

in your Gemfile that seems to bring little trouble to users on Ubuntu 10.04
(I have used it there for many cases and never had trouble with it).

Hope This Helps (not entirely sure, actually ...)

Peter

--
Peter Vandenabeele
http://twitter.com/peter_v