On 17 January 2012 11:20, Kapil Kaligotla
<kapil.kaligo...@magikminds.com> wrote:
> In my model i had used the validation
>
> validates :first_name,      :format => {:with => /^[a-zA-Z.\s]*$/
> i}, :length => {:minimum => 1, :maximum => 25}, :presence => true
>
> in views
>    <%= f.label :first_name %>&nbsp;
>    <%= f.text_field :first_name %>
>
> in the browser i am getting error messages 2 times like this
>

> First name  is too short (minimum is 1 characters),can't be blank
> is too short (minimum is 1 characters),can't be blank

That suggests that the name is blank by the time it gets to be saved
in the database.
First have a look in the log (log/development.log) and check that the
name is passed in correctly.  Then have a look at the Rails Guide on
debugging.  It will show you how to use ruby-debug to break into your
code and inspect data so that you can see what is wrong.

By the way please do not top post, it makes it difficult to follow the
thread.  Insert your reply at appropriate points in the previous
message.  Thanks.

Colin

> On Jan 17, 3:20 pm, Colin Law <clan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 17 January 2012 08:56, Kapil Kaligotla
>>
>> <kapil.kaligo...@magikminds.com> wrote:
>> > I am using validations for first name, but I am getting error message
>> > two times for the label and text_field,

>> >    <%= f.label :first_name %>&nbsp;
>> >    <%= f.text_field :first_name %>
>>
>> Show us the validation you have specified and what the error is and
>> why you think the error is wrong.  Otherwise what hope have we got of
>> helping?
>>
>> Colin

gplus.to/clanlaw