On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Pascal Friederich <pau...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> I migrated one of my projects to from Rails 3.0 to 3.2.1 which means
> I'm using the asset pipeline for the first time.
> As much as I like the ease of compressing and minifying my assets the
> more I'm annoyed about its behavior to raise an
> AssetNotPrecompiledError as soon as, well, there's an asset that's not
> precompiled.
>
> Can somebody explain me the reason why this is considered to be a good
> idea?
> For something as trivial as a missing image file the app fails
> completely instead of just falling back to "old style" image_tag
> behavior (images/foo.png vs assets/foo.png) and maybe produce an error
> log line. Even a missing js or css file
> isn't necessarily a showstopper. At least the app would still be
> usable for a user until the "problem" gets fixed.
>
> I just cant see the benefit of this new behavior.
>
> What am I missing out here?

Maybe this option can help you:

   # Don't fallback to assets pipeline if a precompiled asset is missed
  config.assets.compile = false

from http://guides.rubyonrails.org/asset_pipeline.html .

It's off (false) by default, but if you wanted you could turn it on.

In that case, you probably need to make this group
in your Gemfile

# Gems used only for assets and not required
# in production environments by default.
group :assets do
  gem 'sass-rails'
  gem 'coffee-rails'
  gem 'uglifier'
  gem 'bootstrap-sass'
end

also available in production (which would mean to put it
outside of the :assets group).

HTH,

Peter