On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 05:45, Soichi Ishida <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Furthermore, in order to refer to the parent (in this case, 'Video'), I
> need to set video_id:integer for Script.  Am I correct ?

Yes.

> how can I actually associate a new 'script' entry with
> its parent, 'video', in making a new 'Script' entry ?
>
> For example, in 'index.html.erb' for NewScript page, I tried to put

I don't understand.  index.html.erb is for showing the list of
something.  What's "NewScript" got to do with it?

You may be on *almost* the right track though.  Assuming you get to
views/scripts/new.html.erb by clicking on something associated with a
video, you can set the new script object's video_id in the controller,
and add a hidden field to hold it (for submission to create).

>    @script.video = Video.where(:video_id)

That where-clause isn't going to work.  It's just saying "where
there's a valid video_id".  Maybe you mean where :video_id => video.id
(if there is a variable called video), or maybe video_id.

Anyway, more direct would be simply "@script.video_id = video_id".  No
searching needed.  Assuming of course that you already have the
video_id.

BTW, do you know the definition of "Where Clause"?  It's a fat guy who
dresses up in a red suit and gives out presents, when the moon is
full.  ;-)

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson:  Available Cleared Ruby on Rails Freelancer
(NoVa/DC/Remote) -- see www.DaveAronson.com, and blogs at