Duane Morin wrote in post #1043076:
> rwz wrote in post #1043018:
>> What version of rails do you use? This setup works fine for me on
>> 3.1.3 and 3.2.1
>
> This is on version 3.0.10.  Since it should work and seems to work for
> you I thought maybe the altered table names could be causing a problem,
> but I set up a new app with just these three relationships and the
> traditional table naming conventions and it's still causing a problem.
> :-/
>
> I'll see if I can whip up a virtual machine to try an updated version of
> Rails. Thanks for the idea.

I'll be darned ... that's it exactly.  I took the exact code that failed
on Rails 3.0.10 and updated my Gemfile to use 3.1.0, and it worked fine.
Great, now I have to go see whether my project which is heavily
dependent on legacy stuff can support having their Rails version
upgraded. :-/

(On a related note, Vagrant is wonderful for this sort of thing! :))