I apologize for asking such a basic question, but I have a RoR application I
started developing last July and would like to continue working on it now.
Since that time, I have updated my rails version to 2.2.2 and, since I
really don't have anything to lose, would like to update this (previously
2.1.0) application to 2.2.2.

I tried running:

$ rake rails:upgrade

and nothing happened (as verified by git)

So then I tried editing config/environment.rb and changing RAILS_GEM_VERSION
to 2.2.2 and then running:

$ rake rails:upgrade

and now things have changed.

Is it really as simple as that?

Where should I have looked for documentation about this?  (If such
documentation doesn't exist, I would be glad to add it, but I fear that it
would be as simple as the 2 sentences shown above.)

--wpd