Thanks Fred.  I downloaded the latest Xcode last night, turned the
computer off for the night, and tried it again this morning.  No go;
same message.  I'm also supposed to be able to write gcc -v to test
the compiler from Xcode, but I'm getting an error on that also.  I
tried going into Xcode and starting a project, and it seems to be
working.  Xcode is now being distributed at the App store, instead of
off of the disk.  I wonder if that has something to do with it?  I'm
thinking of maybe trying to put it on my hard drive from the disk for
the old Leopard from my old machine.

As for Apple's gve command line tools, package, I don't know what that
is.