On Mar 13, 2012, at 12:21 PM, dasibre wrote:

> rails newbie need help with form.
> I have a movie application. In the index I list all the movies and in
> addition i have ratings check boxes for (R, PG, PG-13, G)
> basically when you check a box and submit, the page should refresh
> with movies with the chosen rating. So if you check R,PG; only movies
> rated R and PG should be displayed.
> At the moment, when i check any box and submit the query seems to work
> but no movies are returned. When i checked the log this is what i get.
>
> Parameters: {"utf8"=>"✓", "ratings"=>{"R"=>"on"}}
> Movie Load (0.1ms)  SELECT "movies".* FROM "movies" WHERE (rating
> LIKE'---
> - R
> - ''on''
> ')

This looks very much like it's trying to compare the field with YAML. What is
the field type for rating, and have you added serialize to it anywhere? (I
don't see that in your model, but you haven't quoted all of it.)

> here's my movie.rb model code.
> def self.checkBoxTest(ratings)
>               if ratings
>                       where('rating LIKE?', ratings)
>               else
>                       scoped
>               end
>       end

Instead of LIKE, try IN. You're trying to compare an array with a single value,
if I'm reading this correctly.

If only the R is checked, your params[:ratings] will equal ['R']. If R and PG
are checked, it will look like ['R','PG']. So a query like this in raw SQL
would look like SELECT * FROM movies WHERE rating IN ('R','PG');

Walter