I'm not familiar with dhtmlx, but you can send_data the html table to an
.xls file with the excel mime-type and Excel will read it in - formatting
should stay intact - although I don't know what limitations on formatting
may exist. Works with UTF-8 characters, too. OpenOffice will grok it -
other spreadsheet apps don't seem to like it, though.

There's a spreadsheet gem that will give you more fine grained control (in
exchange for more work) over the .xls file, and produces a legit .xls file,
which matters if you want to support more spreadsheet programs than just
Excel.

I've also seen XML Doc approaches. Search to_xls and you should find a few
different options.

--
Chris
http://livingsocial.com | http://clabs.org