Head First Design Patterns is an excellent book IMHO for OO
application design. It's geared towards Java but it has excellent
points. One of them being 'favor composition over inheritance'. The
use of modules in Rails gives so much flexibility that I think going
that route would be the best/simplest solution.

Pepe