You get around this by actually installing the MySQL gem with C
bindings. The one you guys are talking about is the pure Ruby one.

 The pure-MySQL library is terrible for performance and can cause some
seriously flaky stuff. There are a number of posts on tis list that
discuss the installation of that library.

If you're getting the error relating to

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle

then you have a half-installed mysql driver and I bet you're on a Mac.

The solution that worked for me was to do this:

http://www.napcsweb.com/blog/2007/06/01/mysql-gem-on-osx/

I hope that helps!