Jaikishan,

There's no such thing in HTTP. The server can only answer client
requests, not the other way around.

Your 1st approach is correct, except your assumption of needing a
separate thread. What Fred meant is that exactly that, you don't need
a separate thread. Your regular Rails app should be more than capable
to respond to these AJAX requests.

Cheers, Sazima