On 3 May 2012 15:28, Mauro <mrsan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
> I've read about examples on inheritance with rails.
> Here is an example:
>

> http://juixe.com/techknow/index.php/2006/06/03/rails-single-table-inheritance/
>
> The way is to add a type field in the table.
> So if I have an Animal class with an attribute name, I can inherit
> from this class like:
>
> Dog < Animal, Cat < Animal, and so on.
>
> With the type field in the table I can do Dog.all, Cat.all having
> automaticaly all dogs, all cats, etc.
> But what if I want to add some other attributes to Dog or Cat classes?
> In the example above all classes have only name attribute.
> What if I want inherit from Animal extending attributes and adding,
> for example, an attribute like canFly? for inherited classes?

Hi,

You can add columns to the animals table that only some classes use. IMHO
this is not a nice solution.

I have written the SuperSTI gem that I think offers a nicer solution. Read
about it at http://www.ihid.co.uk/projects/super_sti and
https://github.com/ihid/super_sti

Feel free to email me personally to discuss it further.

Jeremy Walker
http://www.ihid.co.uk