Thanks for the help guys.

The webkit build that bundles with AIR doesn't support Web Sockets or the
localStorage which we depend on, so it looks to be a dead end.

I had a look at the solutions mentioned above.

I am looking into using webkit.net to build a custom version of webkit that
will simply wrap the html5 app.

Anyone have any experience with this?