On Jun 26, 2012, at 5:00 PM, cyber c. wrote:

> Hi Walter,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>

>> def create  -> same for def submit too
>>
>> respond_to do |format|
>>    if PARAM matches so and so
>>      DEPENDING on params this gets routed to different page
>
> at any point here do you instantiate a new instance of your model,
> assign the params to it, and try to save it? Until you try to save, your
> validations won't fire.
>
>>> I didn't instantiate a new instance of my model. When i try to instantiate
> @record = Record.new(params[:record])
> fires an error "wrong number of arguments ( 1 for 0) "
> I have removed the default new definition, as i thought i dont need
> it(im not storing the info in a DB, but processing the form data)

What version of Rails? I see a Railscast here from 2010 that has that very same
code, and no error. But it also has an initialize method hand-written into the
model:

def initialize(attributes = {})
  attributes.each do |name, value|
    send("#{name}=", value)

You might need something like that to "persist" the data long enough for your
controller to do something with it.
http://railscasts.com/episodes/219-active-model

Walter