I've got a web-app currently partially working. The user uploads a .txt,
.docx or .doc file to the server.

Currently the model handles those files, saves some metadata (the
extention and orig filename) then saves the file to the hard drive. Next
it converts the doc and docx files to plain text and saves the output to
a txt file.

My problem is I want to copy the plain text contents of those txt files
to the :body field in my database, but by the time those files are
written no more changes can be sent to the data base (because all the
file handling is done in after_save)

Where or how do I sanely get the contents of those TXT files into the
database?

See model attached:

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/7574/doc_file.rb