On Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:18:54 PM UTC+1, Ruby-Forum.com User wrote:

> Colin Law wrote in post #1069267:
> > On 18 July 2012 21:00, masta Blasta <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> The code i'm dealing with in particular has a lot of error checking. If
> >> this & this then fail. If this but not that then fail, and so forth. Of
> >> course every conditional has various error messages that must be sent
> >> back to client and else clauses and blah blah.
> >>
> >> It would be interesting to have some kind of callback system, that
> >> monitors different stages of the #create workflow for example, and when
> >> an error is encountered it bombs out, finds the correct message to
> >> display and returns to view.
> >
> > The first thing to do is to move most of the logic out into the
> > models.  Ideally there should be no business logic in the controllers.
> >
> > Colin
>
> This is not so much logic as validation. Many, many validations
> involving multiple models and associations.

Isn't the model the correct place for validations?

> So if this association
> parameter is set to this, than this other association param must be set
> to either this or this otherwise throw error. What you end up with in
> the end is 100+ lines of if/else statements
>
> That's what makes breaking it up difficult.

sniff, sniff, something smells ... maybe it calls for a re-design?

> If I did break things up to
> other methods or lambdas, i would have these 4-5 line chunks of code
> that have almost no meaning on their own.

if they have no meaning, then what's the point of them?

> Plus since at any point in
> time I'm juggling 4-5 models, all these would have to be passed around
> as parameters if some of this logic were to move into ModelClass
> validations.

Would they have to be passed around as parameters? The controller receives
the params hash that is then used to create or update the model related to
the controller, no? If each model validates itself, then when you create
the model instance, along with associated models, the validations kick in
automatically on save, no? You can then handle any failed validations by
returning the error message to the view.

> My one idea so far is to go ahead and break everything into little
> methods of 4-5 lines and put these in a Module. Then include the module
> in my controller. then do something like:

Would be better if they were included in the Model than the Controller. It
can also make testing quicker, by isolating the methods from rails you
don't need to fire up rails to test each method - your are testing right?

> methodsModule.public_instance_methods.each do |methodName|
>   errors = methodsModule.send methodName, args
>   if errors
>         ...display error
>         ...db:rollback
>         break
>   end
> end
>
> it would not make the code any shorter, but at least somewhat more
> manageable.

(Don't know much about your whole design, so just made a bunch of
assumptions based on the info supplied)

BW

Paul