On 14 August 2012 04:01, Jean-Sébastien D. <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> This is more just a question of concepts. I have read extensively in
> ruby and although many question are still itchy, I am wondering if
> making my own authentication is the best. A person told me to follow the
> tutorial on http://ruby.railstutorial.org/chapters/ in which I did.
> However the authentication system is kinda basic and i am just wondering
> if I should follow this tutorial
>
>   - http://erniemiller.org/2008/09/30/easy-role-based-authorization/,
>   - Device
>   - Cancan.
>
> I personally don't understand gems and are a black hole for me

Gems are just bits of ruby code packaged in a way that makes life easy
for the user.  Rails itself is just a set of gems.  Look in the file
Gemfile.lock in your application and you will see all the gems you are
already using.  You will waste a lot of time if you do not build on
the shoulders of those who have come before.  Spend a small amount of
time learning about gems such as cancan and you will progress much
more rapidly.

Colin