Robert Walker wrote in post #1074687:
> class Player
>   def recommended_courses
>     Course.where(courses[:handicap].gt(a_player.handicap))
>       .and(courses[:handicap].lt(a_player.handicap)
>   end
> end

Just realized after posting that this is a silly example, but should get
you on the right track.

Should have been something like ....
courses[:handicap].gt(a_player.handicap -
5).and(courses[:handicap].lt(a_player.handicap + 5))

Sorry I don't know anything about golf, so that may still sound
ridiculous from the perspective of a golf handicap. I hope it at least
helps with the programming issue.