So I have been struggling with an issue for a while now and seem to be
getting nowhere...

The problem exists while I am looping through a hash, around the 3rd level
deep.

So my code looks a little like:

request[:items][:location_item].each do |locaton_item|
  pp location_item[:name]
  location_item[:items][:sub_area_option_item].each do
|sub_area_option_item|
    pp sub_area_option_item[:name]
    sub_area_option_item[:items][:option_item].each do |option_item|
      option_item[:name] <- THIS IS WHERE MY CODE BREAKS

The reason this is failing is because this particular part of the loop has
2 different variants, one where there is an infinite amount of
"option_items" and one where there is only one "option_item". Instead of
sending me back the single "option_item" it is looping through this
"option_item" and not finding this particular field. Any ideas as how to
force it when only one object is found to still return it as an array?