I'd personally recommend that you go through the Ruby on Rails
tutorial<http://ruby.railstutorial.org/>.
Its more recent, employs best practices from
the get go, very well taught, and free book version. The screencasts you'd
need to purchase.

As an additional resource. You would also like this   Schneems - UT on
Rails<http://schneems.com/ut-rails>
.