On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Jim Ruther Nill <jvn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> reading from
> http://guides.rubyonrails.org/association_basics.html#the-has_and_belongs_to_many-association
>
> The simplest rule of thumb is that you should set up a has_many :through
> relationship if you need to work with the relationship model as an
> independent entity. If you don’t need to do anything with the relationship
> model, it may be simpler to set up a has_and_belongs_to_many relationship
> (though you’ll need to remember to create the joining table in the
> database).
>
> You should use has_many :through if you need validations, callbacks, or
> extra attributes on the join model.

Also, I haven't had to do it myself, but I've heard that retrofitting
a habtm setup to use hmt, after discovering a need for any of the
above, can be a royal pain in the proverbial posterior.  So, I usually
just ignore habtm, and use hmt for all such joins.

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, Available Secret-Cleared Ruby/Rails Freelancer (VA/DC/Remote);
see www.DaveAronson.com, www.Codosaur.us, and www.Dare2XL.com for more info.