Yes, this makes some sense.
But this is helpful, when you have only one user per role.

Suppose you are an admin. & under Admin there are 5 sub-admins. All
sub-admins have different permissions, but role is still the Admin.
Admin need to assign different different permissions to those 5 sub-admins.
I guess this can't be achieved through CanCan because this is a Role-based
authorisation.