On 18 October 2012 20:34, João Gaiewski <joaogilbert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I have spent many hours trying to install Ruby On Rails in my Ubuntu 10.10,
> but it's not working...
>
> I have tried this tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWYZVUln4E) but
> it is deprecated, because it is too old - from 2010 - and some URLs don't
> exist anymore.
>
> Some information about my current installation:
>
> $ ruby -v
> ruby 1.8.7 (2010-06-23 patchlevel 299) [i686-linux]
>
> $ gem -v
> 1.3.7
>
> Please, someone help me, I thought it would be very easy to install Rails,
> but it is proving to be very difficult.

This works for me in Ubuntu 12.10, though the dependencies may be
slightly different for 10.10, come back if you have any problems.

First install required packages
sudo apt-get install build-essential bison openssl libreadline6
libreadline6-dev curl git-core \
zlib1g zlib1g-dev libssl-dev libyaml-dev libxml2-dev autoconf
libc6-dev ncurses-dev automake \
libtool
now install rvm ruby and rails
curl -L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --rails

Run
rvm notes
and follow the instructions about changes to .bashrc

If you want mysql
sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient-dev

for sqlite
sudo apt-get install libsqlite3-dev sqlites

And that should do it.

Colin