On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM, bwb <bwbash...@retrievalsystems.com> wrote:

> Using XML Builder, or some other facility, how does one emit an
> element instance that has both attributes and non-empty content?

Long story short: pass it the content, and then the attributes.  (Or
the other way around, but then I think you'd have to put the
attributes in braces (since it's a hash and you'll have stuff after
it), and put parens on the call (so Ruby doesn't think the hash is a
block).)

In your case, if I correctly spotted the difference between the
current and desired outputs, what I think you want would be:

        xml.eotype EoType.find(official.eotypeID).name,
                   eotypeID: official.eotypeID
        xml.source SourceType.find(official.sourceID).name,
                   sourceID: official.sourceID

Or, to reduce unclear redundancy:

        eo_id = official.eotypeID
        xml.eotype EoType.find(eo_id).name, eotypeID: eo_id
        src_id = official.sourceID
        xml.source SourceType.find(src_id).name, sourceID: src_id

Or, with the attributes hash first:

        eo_id = official.eotypeID
        xml.eotype({ eotypeID: eo_id }, EoType.find(eo_id).name)
        src_id = official.sourceID
        xml.source({ sourceID: src_id }, SourceType.find(src_id).name)

Try any of these (I'd favor #2) and let me know if it gets you what you want.

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, the T. Rex of Codosaurus LLC,
secret-cleared freelance software developer