Take a look at Amazon EC2 esp. since they make considerations for
those involved in education,

http://aws.amazon.com/education/

Even if you're not in education they have a free micro instance you
can play with and might even be enough for you to at least get going,

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

If your start-up idea might even win some money :-)

http://aws.amazon.com/startupchallenge/

Paul (who hosts also at Joyent, Rackspace and Bytemark (UK))