I don't know my english but my javascript is very newbie, too much
newbie

¿  Is not this, the same or similar, that disable the sumbmit button at
the begining of   onchange event and activate it at the end?...something
like:

<%= f.text_field :amount, onchange=>"disable_submit();" +
remote_function(...my caculations) +"enable_submit();" ) %></p>

where enable_submit() and disbale_submit() just does what says, activate
and deactivate the submit button

isn't it?

Thanks,

Albert